How do I Become a Landscape Industry Certified Technician/Certified Retail Horticulturist?
Steps to Getting Started
- Complete the registration form
- Purchase a study manual
- Receive your test book, plant list and description of the testing stations and STUDY.
- Remember Safety is the key to success. (please read our SAFETY POLICY)
- Enjoy your status as one of North America’s Qualified, Trusted, Recognized horticultural professionals.
Prior Industry Experience:
It is strongly recommended that candidates have at least 2,000 hours (1 year) of landscape via showbox for ios industry experience.
The certification of an individual’s competency is accomplished through a series of written and hands-on evaluations.
- Written exams are designed to measure an overall showbox comprehension of the trade.
- The written portion of the exam is usually taken just prior to the hands-on test and is generally 2.5 hours long. All written portions are also usually offered by your provincial association at industry events.
- The hands-on tests measure an individual’s level of competence through a series of stations.
- The candidate is required to successfully perform specific tasks within a specified period of time in the presence of a qualified industry judge.
- Depending on the industry sector, a total of up to 11 stations must completed successfully.
- A minimum grade of 70% is required for all problems before certification status can be obtained.
A pre-evaluating orientation process is also available in most provinces.
The CLT designation is an initiative of Landscape Ontario Horticultural Trades Association.