The Landscape Industry Certified Lawn Care Technician exam is the newest exam available to individuals across Canada and the USA. This credential is directly linked to the practice of the profession and reflects what you should already know as a lawn care practitioner.
Lawn Care Technician Exam Content Outline
- Turfgrass, weed, pest, and disease identification
- Pest control strategies, economic impact thresholds, and cultural practices
- Ability to read labels and guidelines and calculate area to be treated (basic math skills)
- Basic soil science and soil sampling
- Application techniques
- Environmental and weather impact of applied products
- Regulatory compliance
- Proper loading, accident procedures, reports, and spill management
- Vehicle and equipment maintenance
- Basic sales and customer communications
The Landscape Industry Certified Lawn Care Technician exam consists of 100 multiple choice questions. Candidates will have 2 hours to complete the full exam. It is recommended that candidates have at least one year of experience before challenging the exam. Click here for test dates across Canada.
*Reference Material Suggestions — If you need further preparation, here are a few resources suggested by exam development subject matter experts. Some are available from the Professional Landcare Network in the USA.
- Check out Web sites of turf schools for popular lawn care books and materials.
- Some popular books include Destructive Turf Insects by David J. Shetlar and Dr. Harry D. Niemczyk; Compendium of Turfgrass Diseases, Third Edition, by Richard W. Smiley, Peter H. Dernoeden, and Bruce B. Clarke; Turfgrass Problems: Picture Clues and Management Options – by Eva Gussack and Frank S. Rossi, Department of Horticulture, Cornell University; Color Atlas of Turfgrass Diseases by Toshikazu Tani and James B. Beard; Turfgrass Management by A.J. Turgeon; Managing Turfgrass Pests by Thomas L. Watschke, Peter H. Dernoeden, and David J. Shetlar.